Moving to a new country can be an exciting adventure for anyone. Despite the fact that it’s a wonderful experience, there are many things that need to be done and taken care of before packing up and moving out of country. Of course, the things that need to be done are specific to each person’s situation, but these will probably apply to most everyone. Before it’s too late, make sure you take care of these tasks!
Visit the Country First
This might seem obvious, but it’s a good idea to visit the country in question before moving to it. What might seem like a dream come true in pictures and books may be a completely different story in reality. Make sure you familiarize yourself with any cultural differences or customs before taking the plunge and delving into your new life in the new country. Make sure you also take your family members with you to visit if they’re going to be accompanying you on the move.
Collect the Necessary Documents
It will more than likely be difficult to inhabit your new country of choice if you don’t round up the appropriate paperwork and documents to move. This means grabbing a passport for everyone involved in the move, getting copies of birth certificates, and collecting various licenses or any other relevant types of documents.
Purchase Health Insurance and Take Care of Other Medical Needs
Whenever you decide to move internationally, your health insurance coverage will not follow you to your new home in most cases. Also, grab the proper immunizations and other vaccines that will be appropriate to the new home. You can also prepare your loved ones for the move in these ways. For example, you might want to visit a Utah kids dentist for your children before the move so that you aren’t scrambling to find a dentist just after moving to the new country. Overall, to be on the safe side, find a Utah pediatric dentist for this exact reason.
Make Sure You Can Access Your Finances Once You’ve Moved
Lastly, but not least important, arrange any appropriate transfers for your funds for when you’re settled in your new home. This is not something that you want to forget about doing because it can pose major problems down the line if you urgently need to access funds that just can’t be accessed from the country or banking institution in question.
Most individuals view transitioning to a new home or apartment as dreadful task. But with careful planning and a helpful checklist, moving will be a simpler process.
Twelve to Eight Weeks
If planning begins during the early phases of the move, individuals may not feel as pressured or rushed when the final days approach.
- Make a checklist of all tasks that will need to be accomplished. The list should include tasks such as finding movers or leasing a truck, purchasing boxes, and finding a storage facility.
- Sort through your household items. This process may take months if it is done properly. Get rid of items that are no longer being used by putting them in a storage facility, having a garage sale, or make a donation to your local thrift store.
- Create a moving budget. Designate the amount that you want to spend for the entire move and look for ways to save money. Creating a budget in advance can help reduce unexpected expenses from occurring at the last minute.
Eight to Four Weeks
The final days are approaching fast. Details of the move should be carefully scrutinized during this period to make the transition less stressful.
- Interview moving companies and schedule your move. Make sure that your moving company is licensed and bonded with paperwork to prove their credibility. Be cautious about what sources are used to locate moving companies. Avoid internet ad postings for moving companies. Try asking friends or family for referrals or use a local newspaper.
- Become familiar with the new floor plan. Make sure that you have a hard copy of your new floor plan with measurements of the rooms. Plan how your furniture will be positioned and make sure that there is adequate space.
- Find a local storage facility, such as a Denver CO storage facility. During most moves, there will be extra items that will clutter the new home. Shop to find reasonable prices in a safe environment. Plan to move your extra items to the storage facility as soon as possible.
Four to One Weeks
Everything is beginning to fall into place. Take these final precautions to make sure the move is executed smoothly.
- Purchase boxes and begin packing. First, Pack items that are not often used. Packing one room at a time can help streamline the process.
- Double check your check list. Contact the movers to make sure the time and day is confirmed. Contact your landlord or realtor to confirm that the new location is ready and all paperwork has been completed.
Following these procedures and planning ahead will aid in a positive moving experience.
Melisa Cammack has been freelance writing for several years and loves writing self-help, parenting, travel and health articles. Melisa is currently promoting Extra Space Storage – Palmdale location.
Relocating is an adventure that some loathe and others enjoy it. Of course, the factors that make it a fiasco or a pleasure have everything to do with how you view the experience.
With my husband being retired military, you can imagine the different times we’ve had to move in the past. Hubby was a pro at it after all those years in mobility. My experience was less but, nevertheless, educational. Now that he’s retired, more of the preparation falls on us directly. It isn’t just a matter of scheduling the different aspects of the move anymore. It’s become a hands-on operation.
We were convinced that you could handle the move from Colorado to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan by ourselves without any major trouble. Considering that we did all of it ourselves, we didn’t do a bad job. However, it wasn’t the smartest way to relocate.
We rented the U-Haul van to move our belongings from our old house to a self-storage unit. The loading of the furniture was going well until we got to our soft. What is it with sofas? What makes them such a pain to move unless you’ve had oodles of experience with a moving company? True, the weight and the alignment of the arms and the back are a little unusual but should it take an entire hour to get it from the living room to inside the van?
Getting our belongings into the self-storage unit wasn’t as difficult. However, as we unloaded items, Hubby and I started questioning how smart we were to use up so much of our energy this way. Maybe we would have been better off paying for some help.
Once we got to our destination and found a house to rent, we had to make quick plans on how to get our furniture from Colorado to Michigan. This required Hubby to take a bus back to Colorado. The trip took long because of the route it was on.
In Colorado, he had to rent another U-Haul, load up all of our belongs, and make the slow trip back to Michigan. Why was it slow? In most of the states between Colorado and Michigan, the state law requires large trucks to travel at a limit of 55mph. At least that was the law during the time of our move.
Of course, once Hubby arrived, we had to unload the truck ourselves. Getting the furniture into a house is as bad as trying to get it out of one. We were fortunate to get some help from a man who would be working with Hubby.
The Moral of the Story
The moral of this true life story is transparent. Even when the move has gone fairly well when moving yourself, it’s exhausting and frustrating. Finding a reliable Colorado Springs moving company to assist you with the move is a smarter way to get the job done.
Glynis Jolly currently lives in the Cumberland Mountains of Tennessee. She writes articles for online magazines on a freelance basis. She also owns her own blog, Reflections Of Thought at http://www.glynisj.com/.
Colorado Springs is one of the largest and most diverse cities in the state. Not only is it home to the United States Air Force Academy, but there are many Fortune 500 companies that also call this city home. Moving to the area of Colorado Springs is a great idea, especially if the local area interests you. No matter who your family is comprised of, there is sure to be something here to appeal to everyone. Still, moving can be tough and complex at times, so make sure to keep the following things in mind when you finally decide to make the move.
Find a Good Company
Perhaps the best way to take the stress out of the moving process is to find a great mover that will handle the logistical needs of your situation. This could mean that you find Denver movers that work in Colorado Springs, or maybe you need to locate statewide Colorado moving companies to help with the process. Regardless of who you find, make sure that they operate in the Colorado Springs area and that they have high customer ratings for their services. Do some research to make sure that you are choosing a company that offers great service at low prices without sacrificing quality.
Plan Things Out
Whether you are moving with kids, relocating with pets, or simply moving by yourself, make sure that you plan things out in advance. This can make it stress free moving. This is the one thing that can save the entire operation from becoming too overwhelming to handle. Remember, any type of move is complex, so it will be in your best interest to sit down and write everything out long before moving day arrives. This means that you should write out a moving schedule that will outline the different tasks that need to be completed, as well as a moving budget and other information that you might need at the flick of your hand. Keep all of this in one place where you can get to it throughout the packing and moving process.
There will always be questions as to if you did everything you could to make the moving process go smoothly, but you should have confidence in what you have done if you have planned things out and found a good company. These two steps will make all the difference when you are moving to a location like Colorado Springs. Keep these tips in mind and sit back to enjoy the changes that will happen around you throughout this time in your life. In the end, moving can be easy and even fun. Remember this when you start thinking about your next move.
Five Hot Summer Moving Tips
Moving during the summer is a very popular activity. There are many reasons for this; the kids are out of school, most clubs are winding down for the year, and many people have time for vacations at this point in the season. For those moving to Colorado, this is a great time of year to relocate. Not only do you avoid the winter travel hazards, but you can also settle into your new home without scheduling troubles and worries. Still, as your moving day approaches this summer, here are a few summer moving tips to keep in mind regardless of which Colorado movers you have hired.
Timing is Everything: It is very important, when you are moving in the summer months, to plan ahead and schedule what work is going to be done when. If possible, make sure to keep the heavy duty lifting and outdoor work to a minimum during the middle of the day, saving it for the cooler hours of the afternoon or morning. This will help avoid heat related illnesses and other such problems.
Keep Drinks Handy: No matter what Colorado moving company you have decided to hire, make sure that you keep drinks on hand so that everyone can stay hydrated. The movers will appreciate the gesture, and you will dramatically reduce the chances of having heat related problems throughout the day. Make sure that you give pets plenty of water as well.
Be Vigilant of Your Goods: Keep in mind that the back of a moving truck is not climate controlled. As such, it will be vital for you to pre-pack before the company gets there so that you carry anything that heat can damage in a cabin or car where there is air conditioning. This will prevent you from having to deal with damage or other problems on the far side of the move.
Know the Signs: No matter where you are in the country, the summer is hot. Because of this fact, it is important that you know the signs and symptoms of heat related problems so that you can act fast when the situation requires it. It is best to take steps to avoid problems, but if they cannot be avoided, knowing what to do is the next best thing.
Allow for Breaks: Everyone wants the most for their money, especially when you hire another company to do something for you, but breaks are necessary. This is especially true in the summer months when things are very hot. Be sure that you are aware that the movers are going to take breaks and be friendly. Your movers will be better for the breaks and your things will be in much better hands.
Regardless of where you are leaving to join the many residents of Colorado, it is important to keep these things in mind during a summer move. Heat can create havoc with humans and things alike. Store this information somewhere handy so that you can draw on it. Doing so will only make your moving experience that much simpler.
Anyone who has moved over a long distance knows that such moves are often riddled with problems and stress. What many people don’t always realize is that these problems can be avoided most of the time, and that long distance moving to Colorado can be simplified and much easier than it might seem. You can avoid the stress involved in a move to Colorado Springs, Aspen, or any other city in the state; you simply need to take some steps in order to make sure that things are in order before moving day actually arrives.
1. Plan Ahead: Perhaps the most important thing that you can do in order to make sure that your move goes on without the high stress levels that normally accompany long distance moving is to take your time and plan ahead. Planning things out, how they will go, and what you will be doing each and every step of the way can make the overall process so much simpler.
2. Write it Down: It is important to keep a running list of things that need to be done, things that have been done, and other things associated with the move. It can be difficult to keep up with everything that will be going on throughout the move, but writing things down will make sure that you have a place that you can go to when you need to remember each step of the way.
3. Hire Help: Moving over a long distance to Colorado is a complex task, and you will not want to take care of all aspects of the move on your own. It might seem appealing at first, as you will save some money by doing things by yourself, but in the end you will be far too stressed out to enjoy the move in any way, shape, or form. Thus, make sure that you hire Colorado movers when you need to move, even if it is help that will only handle specific aspects of the move.
4. Research and Read: No matter where you are going in Colorado, or how you plan on getting there, it is vital for your own protection that you take the time to research and read about the various aspects of a move and how to deal with issues that might come up along the way. Researching the companies that you might work with can prevent you from becoming the victim of a scam, while knowing how to handle various predicaments can help you reduce the stress that you feel when faced with certain problems.
5. Communicate: It won’t matter who is handling the different aspects of your move, if you cannot communicate, then you will not be able to enjoy a stress free move. Instead, you will be worried about the treatment of your things, as well as anything that might get done in a manner that is not to your liking. By being able to communicate with those who are helping you move in any Colorado city, you can ensure that you get to your new home without having to worry about things being done the wrong way or in a way that could cause problems throughout the process.
Long distance moving is one of the most complex things that you can ever do, and it requires time, effort, and tons of planning. The fact is, you do not want to simply get moved, you want to get moved without the stress and hassle that moving generally brings with it. There are many things that you can do to prepare for a move with Colorado moving companies, but there are certain things that you should always make sure are taken care of if you want to make your move simple, effective, and as cheap as it can be.
Research Methods – There are a couple of different methods that you can use when you are moving over long distances, especially to a large state such as Colorado. No matter how far you are actually moving, whether it be to Aspen or Yuma, it is important that you look into the various services that will be able to transport your things from one place to another. Each one of these methods comes with its own list of pros and cons, so make sure that you research the methods to see which one is the best fit for your specific needs.
Pack Carefully – It is easy to break things when you are moving. Many things are shifted around and it is not hard to imagine something being dropped or falling out of its little cubby in the box where it is located. As such, it is vital that you take extra care when your things will be moving to Colorado. Packing carefully and going the extra mile to ensure that your things are packed well will prevent that special something from breaking along the way.
Get Help – If long distance moving is anything, it is complex. Because this task is something that will take tons of energy and work, it is best if you get help from somewhere. By hiring a company to move your things, or getting friends and family to help, you are taking some of the responsibility off of your shoulders so that you do not have to worry about covering every single aspect of the move on your own. This will relieve much of the stress that you would otherwise have to deal with when you are making the move.
Take Your Time – Perhaps the most important thing that you can do when you are moving over a long distance is take the time that you need to in order to plan and organize the move the right way. By taking your time, you are setting yourself up to avoid the failures that come along with rushing and possibly forgetting something along the way. Keeping your cool and being on top of everything will make sure that the move goes off without any problems.
Write It Down – Writing things down throughout the move might actually seem like it is redundant or unnecessary, but it can be a huge step towards making sure that you are on top of everything when you move. It can be difficult to keep up with all that is going on when you are moving, but by keeping a list on paper, you can always have something to go back to when you need a reminder. Remember, it isn’t how you keep it listed; it is that you actually write it down, so take this step to help yourself keep everything organized when you are facing a long distance move to Colorado.